10.21.2009

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Look at this winning piece of brass.  You can say it's ugly - it won't hurt my feelings.  
I picked it up at my favorite store...Goodwill.  Who needs a fancy party decor store when you have Goodwill a few miles away, not to mention 3 other thrift stores in the same area.

Yes, the price says $49.99.  Not sure who priced this beauty at that but they were smoking something.  I could see the swan that this ugly duckling would become but I wouldn't even have paid $50.  Lucky for me it was "half off green tag" day and I picked this up for $25.  I realize some would say that is still steep but remember I saw what it could become and $25 was a steal.
It was a leap of faith though - this thing is really beat up.  The previous owner did some repair work?!?!  I'm not sure what product they used to get this piece to stick on but I have to say it looks like a wad of chewed up gum.  I have steered clear of touching this part of the candelabra - it grosses me out.
I bought a few supplies and set to working miracles on my brassy beauty.  Once can of 99 cent spray paint from Lowes.  I did a jig when I found 99 cent spray paint - the perfect price for Halloween decor since I don't need anything fancy.
$4 battery operated taper candles that flicker.  Let me tell you why I love these particular ones from Big Lots (is Big Lots a national chain?)  Most battery candles like this are a whole unit - candle and candle holder - these are separate so the candle can sit in any taper candle holder you have - like a big, ugly, shiny brass candelabra.
A couple more things about the candles...yes, I needed 14 of them that came to a total of $56. Perhaps a bit pricey but they are safe.  I could have never pulled off this Halloween prop with real candles.  They'll last forever.  Taper candles would have been less but they'd burn down and need to be replaced far more often (and like I already mentioned...unsafe, the fire department would be here shutting down my decorating)  Finally, the cost is less than a real or artificial Christmas tree which people buy every year.  It's no secret that I love Halloween so having a Halloween "tree" makes sense.  ALL my reasons make sense and hopefully my husband thinks so too when he reads this post and sees how much I spent on candles.

Back to the project.  I hit the candelabra with some black spray paint but didn't do full coverage - I just wanted to tone down the gold goodness.  After looking at these pictures I see that I need to hit it with some more paint towards the bottom - I'll get on that today.

I also added the candles, minus one - I need to fix the holder as soon as I can find some chewing gum :)
Then I grabbed one bag of Creepy Cloth, again from Big Lots.  This is the same cloth that I used on my mantle and staircase.
Drape the candelabra with the cloth - ripping , tearing and cutting where necessary.
Add some moss.  This dried moss is the perfect Halloween accessory - it makes any scene look creepy.
The finished candelabra during the day (with a pumpkin thrown in to keep the empty candle spot warm while waiting for the candle)

It's not much to look at - it's better than it was before but the daytime is not when this lady shines...

nighttime baby, that's her glory moment!



I love her!  Her Halloween glow makes me happy.  She reminds me of the candelabras that meet you in the line at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion right before you enter your Doom Buggie.

I have one more thing to add but for the most part this trash to treasure is done.  I am concerned about the empty space at the bottom of the candelabra - it needs something to ground it and make it into more of a scene but I haven't come up with any great ideas - anyone? Anyone?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodnesss! I LOOVE IT! good job, you are so creative!

This makes me feel alittle better about the $65 skull head I bought too :) LOL

Unknown said...

Wow - that is really amazing. Nice work. I am extremely impressed, as always.

Hollis said...

Wow.. I love this! Looks great! Very spooky and well worth the $$$ I say! Love the finished product! I wonder what it would have been used for if not this purpose? It looks like it was made for this project!

Marcie said...

Glorious! Excellent Job and vision to see what could be from the start! :)

Amy said...

I've been stalking your blog for a while and have to comment on this one. Amazing. I have a Goodwill here but I just don't see the potential in the "junk" that some do. It looks SO good. THanks for sharing.

Carrie said...

WOW, that looks amazing! There's so much great stuff out there if you have the vision. And BOY did you have the vision! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm so glad you did. :=)

Katie said...

genius... all i have to say.

Appleshoe said...

This is gorgeous. You could put a pile of sculls or pumpkins under it. Make them out of paper mache’or buy some inexpensive paper sculls at Michaels and then decorate them.

Reyna Meinhardt said...

WOW!!! You transformed it into something absolutely amazing!!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I would add a foam skull to each foot at the botton... just split them up the back and slide them over the foot. Then maybe drape a little creepy cloth from one to the other around the base.

Christen said...

You are so creative!! Love it!

Maybe put a slew of jack o' lanterns on the ground in all different sizes?